Monday, December 20, 2010

Diaspora

http://rapidshare.com/files/438421487/Diaspora_RPG__oef_.pdf

Here is the link to the book PDF of Diaspora.
I quickly skimmed the content of the book and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand it seems quite open and free flowing. It seems you can do pretty much anything with the system, build any sort of character or ship.

However, despite how stream line this shit is, it has its own rules and unnecessary tables. All the equipment and all the weird skills as well as their convoluted need to include squad or company or even ship based battle systems.

We can certainly use this system for our game, however I feel that we would all need to read and understand the rules well enough to strip away any useless information. So go ahead and download the file, read through it and lets figure out if we need to move to a different game or if we want to work with this.

2 comments:

  1. Alright, having read through the book, I really like the system and the setting. I would even like to run this game. In a lot of ways it is similar to D&D and other system-focused games, but with more room for flavor. It also allows a lot of player control with Aspects, although limited by the fate point economy so it doesn't get out of control. I think we could have a lot of fun with this.

    As far as the various combat systems, none of them are really necessary except perhaps Personal combat. The rest are optional and those situations (e.g. ship combat) can be handled in the usual system without resorting to the tactical map. However, each of the separate combat systems uses similar mechanics and I think once we know Personal combat, any others we use would come easily. I particularly like that any of the combat systems can be used stand-alone, particularly the wargaming one (platoon combat) which might be fun to learn all on its own.

    So, I'm planning to get a hardcopy of the book regardless, and I'd be happy to referee or play it. Dunno if it will be crunchy enough for everyone, but I think we should at least give it a couple sessions' try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also interested in the Fate system, and would very much like to hear how it goes and how people like it.

    ReplyDelete